As of Sept. 1, 2002, state employees
designated by a state agency to be a notary public are no longer required
to purchase a notary bond (H.B. 1203). All other notary regulations must
be followed. The state provides defense and indemnification to a state
employee for damages, attorney's fees, and court costs adjudged against
them when the damages are based on an act or omission in the course and
scope of the person's employment (Civil Practice and Remedies Code Section
Application Process for New and Renewing Notaries
The process for new or renewal of state employee's notary commission without bond is outlined below. If you are currently commissioned as a notary public and are seeking to renew your commission, please wait until you are within 90 days of the expiration date of your current commission before submitting a renewal application.
- Complete the application below for state employees who will not be providing a notary bond.
- Form 2301-NB, Application for Appointment as Texas Notary Public - No Bond (MS Word, Adobe PDF)
- Complete the Acknowledgment Form.
- Submit Payment - Make payments payable to the Secretary of State. Payment/Proof of Employment can either be:
- A copy of an interagency transaction voucher (ITV) verifying the pre-payment, transfer of the $11 filing fee (RTI#300300, COBJ-7210, and TINS#33073073075000) from your agency to the Secretary of State with the employee's/applicant's name in the USAS transaction description; or
- A State Agency/University check for $11, payable to the Secretary of State; or
- A State Warrant for $11, payable to Secretary of State.
- Provide proof of employment. The payment methods listed above qualify as accepted proof of employment.
- Mail the original completed application, original completed acknowledgment form, proof of employment, and payment (all three items must be received at one time) to:
State Office of Risk Management
Bonds & Insurance Section
P.O. Box 13777
Austin, Texas 78711-3777
Once the application has been received by the State Office of Risk Management, please allow a minimum of 5 business days for our Bonds and Insurance section to process your application. If SORM has received all of the necessary documentation, we will forward your application to the Secretary of State's office for their commission issuance.
Individuals are able to check the status of their application with the Secretary of State's office by accessing the SOS Notary Search page.
Name Change Application for Bond Exempt Notaries
If you need to change your name before your commission's expiration date,
read the instructions on Form 2305-NB below and
complete. Forward the original Application for Change of Name along with
$10 fee payable to the Secretary of States' Office. Send a photocopy of
the application to the Bonds and Insurance Section of SORM.
2305-NB, Application for Change of Name as Texas Notary Public Without Bond
(MS Word, Adobe PDF)
Change in State Employment for Bond Exempt Notaries
If you have transferred State Agencies or have been terminated by a State Agency before your commission's expiration date, complete Form SORM 204. Read the instructions and send the completed form to Notary@sorm.state.tx.us.
Notary Educational Materials
An overview of the Secretary of State's notary public educational information as it applies to state government. http://www.sos.state.tx.us/statdoc/edinfo.shtml
An online training video is available on the Texas Secretary of State's web site. http://www.sos.state.tx.us/statdoc/zip-instr.shtml
Professional Rubber Stamp
Notary Public without Bond Pre-inked with Rectangular Border
A special notary stamp is required for a Notary without Bond. The stamp
must show "Notary without Bond" below the bottom border of the notary stamp.
The stamp may be purchased at a local rubber stamp or office supply store. State employees are also able to order from either vendor shown below through TPASS' statewide rubber stamp contract:
- 67152 1-02-065-3370-4
MULHOLLAND INDUSTRIES LTD
1332 NORTH MAIN, FORT WORTH TX 76164
MISSY MURRAY, Phone 817-624-1153
Vendor Number: 67152 MULHOLLAND INDUSTRIES LTD
(615-77-79326-0) EA $7.00
NOTARY RUBBER STAMP - SIZE: 1" X 2-1/4" -
TRODAT IDEAL 2000 - DELIVERY IN 5 DAYS -
AVAILABLE ON SMARTBUY
- 00561 1-38-247-1219-7
RODZINA INDUSTRIES INC
3518 FENTON RD, FLINT MI 48507
ROBERT CROSS, Phone: 810-235-2341, Fax: 810-235-3919
Vendor Number: 00561 RODZINA INDUSTRIES INC
615-77-79325-2 EA $8.00
NOTARY RUBBER STAMP - SIZE: 1" X 2-1/4" –
RS RM18-NS - DELIVERY IN 10 DAYS
- AVAILABLE ON SMARTBUY
For More Information
Administrative Code, title 28, Part 4, Chapter 252, Subchapter E
Contact by e-mail: Notary@sorm.state.tx.us or phone: (512) 936-1483.