In addition to the requirements in the Department of Information
and requirements that external websites must meet to have a link
from the SORM website. It also details how links are accepted and
removed from the SORM website.
The fundamental purpose of the SORM website is to inform citizens
and users regarding government services and to perform government
functions. The SORM website is not a forum for public communication
and debate. The following criteria have been established to preserve
the non-public forum nature of the SORM website accepts link requests
made by federal, state, and local governments that provide information
and services that benefit Texas citizens and businesses. At its
discretion, SORM may link to non-governmental websites that contain
information and/or services that further the purpose of SORM.
Every link request must undergo review to determine its relevance
and appropriateness to the SORM mission of providing access to government
services. Links are approved for the SORM website based on the following
- The external website corresponds with the SORM website design
and mission of single point of access to government information
and services that is private, secure, convenient, efficient, customer
service oriented, and accessible.
- The site's content is appropriate with respect to the SORM
mission and is not a:
- Commercial site that charges a fee for products or services
- Site that exhibits hate, bias, discrimination, pornography,
libelous, or otherwise defamatory content;
- Site belonging to or supporting a political affiliation; or,
- Site that furthers the agenda of a political organization or
candidate running for office.
SORM reserves the right to deny or remove links if it determines
that a website contains misleading or unsubstantiated claims, conflicts
with the SORM mission, or does not meet one or more of the criteria
set forth above or set out below in the Requirements, numbers 1-4.
To give superior customer service to citizens and businesses accessing
governmental information and services through the SORM website,
we require that external websites requesting a link on the SORM
website meet the following requirements:
- The linked site must provide the user with an e-mail address
and/or a customer service telephone number on every page of the
site, in order for users to contact the site if there are problems
with format, accuracy, timeliness, or payment processing.
- When the user clicks on the external website link, he/she must
have easy access back to the SORM website. One of two options
can accomplish this: A link to the SORM website can be established
on the external website's main page; or the "Back" button
returns the user to the SORM website.
- Linked sites must have a privacy and security policy accessible
from their home page informing the user of what information is
collected, how it is collected, how it is used, and how the user
can review and correct the information.
- Linked sites must comply with accepted standards as provided
by the Worldwide Web Consortium to ensure that persons with disabilities
may access these sites. Texas state agencies must follow the Texas
Administrative Code (TAC) §206
State Web Sites.
Links from the SORM website will be reviewed regularly and may
be removed for the following reasons:
- The link no longer points to the original information or resource
to which it was intended to point;
- The information pointed to by the link is inaccurate, misleading,
or otherwise violates the criteria and requirements set forth
above in the sections titled Criteria and Requirements;
- Access to the information has become difficult due to non-standard
formatting, lengthy download times, or intrusive advertising;
- The link is permanently unreachable or remains unavailable for
a lengthy period, especially if we are unable to contact the site
manager about the site's status;
- The external website fails to comply with the linking agreement,
if any; and/or,
- Customers of the externally linked site excessively burden the
SORM website customer support function.