Automobile Program

The Statewide Automobile Insurance Program is designed to provide automobile liability and physical damage coverage to state agencies.  SORM is pleased to be working with OneBeacon as the new carrier for the Automobile Program.  The benefits to working with OneBeacon include lower rates for slow moving vehicles, locked in rates for two years, and deductible options.  See this PDF for a list of Current Auto Program Participants.

What is covered?

Liability coverage is available for any owned, non-owned, or hired auto operated by a state agency or institution of higher education. Liability claims are paid out when a state employee, who is driving in the course and scope of work, is at fault in an accident that results in bodily injury or property damage to another party. The policy provides liability limits up to the Texas Tort Claims Act caps: $250,000/$500,000/$100,000; and up to $1 million when the Texas Tort Claims Act does not apply. Deductible options are available.

Physical damage coverage is elective and may only be purchased on state-owned motorized equipment. This may include but is not limited to: private passenger vehicles, buses, trailers, golf carts, tractors and other mobile equipment. The coverage pays for repair of the state-owned motorized equipment, or Actual Cash Value if the vehicle is totaled.

Hired and non-owned coverage provides protection to state entities whose employees drive their personally-owned, leased, or rented vehicles in the course and scope of employment. The policy will pay the difference for covered claims between the underlying policy limits of the personally owned vehicle and the total amount of the loss, up to the policy limit. For personally-owned vehicles driven by state employees in the course and scope of employment, the non-owned liability coverage is excess coverage to protect the state entity that will respond after the employee’s personal insurance has been exhausted. Premium is a flat rate multiplied by the number of drivers. Agencies that insure their state-owned motorized equipment for liability and or physical damage automatically have hired and non-owned coverage included.

Should my agency consider buying Hired and Non-Owned coverage?

Any state agency that requires their employees to use their personally-owned vehicles to complete their assigned work duties should consider obtaining a quote for this standalone coverage. This will protect the agency from paying liabilities in excess of the underlying policy limits.

We have operations in Mexico. Is coverage available for my employees while they are in Mexico on business?

Driving in Mexico creates a unique exposure for state agencies. Mexican law requires drivers to carry Mexico automobile liability insurance, and U.S. automobile insurance policies are invalid in Mexico. Drivers can be asked for proof of insurance at checkpoints, border crossings, or traffic stops, and be ticketed if they do not have proof of appropriate coverage. Alliant Insurance Services, Inc. can assist state agencies with the procurement of Mexico automobile liability insurance.

How do I obtain a quote?

  • Vehicle/Mobile Equipment Unit Schedule (Excel): Add each piece of motorized equipment your agency owns and wants to insure onto this spreadsheet.  This may include but is not limited to: private passenger vehicles, buses, trailers, golf carts, tractors and other mobile equipment. Each field in the spreadsheet must be completed per item to obtain insurance coverage. All motorized equipment should be insured for liability because this is your greatest exposure. Physical damage is elective and can be purchased by writing “yes” into the columns titled Physical Damage. Please add the cost new for each item on the schedule.
  • Authorized Driver List (Excel): Each state agency should maintain a record of individuals who are authorized to drive on behalf of the state agency.  Generally, all employees who must drive as a condition of their employment and others who drive frequently should be included on this list.
  • Statewide Automobile Loss Report Procedure Form (PDF): If an auto collision occurs while a vehicle is being operated by an authorized driver on behalf of the state agency, this form should be completed in its entirety and submitted for available coverage. This form is also used if there is a loss to a state owned and insured vehicle for which damage resulted from a non-collision event such as hail, flood, or fire.
  • Mexico travel insurance is available. To obtain a quote and make payment for approved trips into Mexico, please call Alliant Insurance at 949-756-0271.

All inquiries and documents can be submitted to SORM via email.


  • If you get into an accident, do NOT admit fault.
  • Exchange insurance information with the other party using the claims form provided by your insurance contact at your agency and submit to SORM as soon as practicable.
  • The Statewide Automobile Insurance Program does NOT provide medical coverage to you or any of your passengers. Employees who are injured in the course and scope of work should report their claim to SORM’s Workers’ Compensation Department.

Any descriptions of coverage provided are not intended as an interpretation of coverage and should not be relied upon as such. An actual insurance policy must be consulted for full coverage details.

Visit the Statewide Automobile Program Resources page for posters, videos, and FAQs about driving safety and auto insurance coverage policies.