Stephen Vollbrecht, Executive Director
- Stephen Vollbrecht serves as the current State Risk Manager for Texas, overseeing SORM as Executive Director. Mr. Vollbrecht has served in progressive roles with SORM since 2001, as Deputy General Counsel, General Counsel, and Deputy Executive Director, and was named by the Board as the Executive Director in 2014.
Mr. Vollbrecht received his Bachelor of Arts from Texas Lutheran University, Master of Arts from the Naval Postgraduate School, and Doctor of Jurisprudence from Texas Tech University School of Law. He holds Associate in General Insurance and Associate in Insurance Services designations from the American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters, and is certified as a Professional Continuity Practitioner by the Emergency Management Institute, FEMA.
Mr. Vollbrecht is a licensed attorney and a graduate of the Governor’s Executive Development Program at the University of Texas, LBJ School of Public Affairs. He is a member of the American Bar Association (ABA), State Risk and Insurance Management Association (STRIMA), University Risk Management and Insurance Association (URMIA), the Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS), and the U.S. Technical Advisory Group to ANSI TC262 (ISO 31000).
Todd Holt, Deputy Executive Director
- L. Todd Holt joined SORM in January 2015 and currently serves as Deputy Executive Director. Prior to joining SORM, Mr. Holt held several executive management positions such as the Division Director of Claims Administration for the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) and as the Assistant
Vice President of Industry Training for the Texas Mutual Insurance Company (formally known as the Texas Workers’ Compensation Insurance Fund). His background includes managing operations that handle workers’ compensation, commercial property, errors and omissions, general liability, and auto. During his 19+ year tenure at TASB, he developed expertise in the Texas Tort Claims Act, was involved in the placement of property stop loss insurance (including international Lloyds markets) and actively participated in the executive leadership of a large risk pool.
Mr. Holt holds bachelor and master’s degrees from Texas Tech University and is a licensed multi-line adjuster (Type 08). He holds several professional designations, which include Associate in Claims (AIC) and Associate in Claims Management (AIC-M) from the American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters. He also holds a Casualty Claims Profession (CCP) designation for the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, and is certified as a Professional Continuity Practitioner (PCP) by the Emergency Management Institute, FEMA.
Stuart B. Cargile, Division Chief and CFO, Internal Operations Division
- Stuart B. Cargile is the Division Chief of Internal Operations and oversees agency support functions including Accounting & Finance, Human Resources, and Information Resources. Mr. Cargile joined the Office at its inception in 1997, serving as the Director of Fund Accounting and Chief Financial Officer.
Mr. Cargile holds a Bachelor of Science in Economics with a Finance minor from Texas A&M University, where he was a member of the Corps of Cadets.
Deea L. Western, J.D., Division Chief and General Counsel,
Legal Services Division
- Deea Western joined SORM as General Counsel and Division Chief for Legal Services in April 2015. The Legal Services Division is comprised of three departments including Litigation Management, Special Investigations, and Compliance and Practices.
Ms. Western was born in Arkansas and attended Arkansas State University. After receiving a Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood/Elementary Education, she moved to Bell County, Texas and taught elementary school on Fort Hood before going to law school.
Deea Western obtained a Juris Doctorate from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock and has been licensed to practice law in Arkansas and Texas since 1992. Ms. Western served as an Assistant Attorney General for the Texas Office of the Attorney General. Following that, she was a solo practitioner. In 1996, she accepted a position with the Texas Department of Insurance Enforcement Section where she directed a team of attorneys and investigators and supervised litigation for 18 years. In addition to her legal career, Ms. Western also taught college courses at Central Texas College in Killeen.
PAST EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS
Claire Bow – Executive Director
- Claire Bow served as Executive Director of SORM from 2004 through 2014. Born and raised in Alpine, Texas, Ms. Bow received a B.A. in Political Science from Sul Ross University and a J.D. from Texas Tech University School of Law. After working in private practice as an attorney in Lubbock, Ms. Bow joined the Office of the Attorney General as an Assistant Attorney General. She served ten years with the Attorney General’s Office, ending her tenure as the Presiding Administrative Law Judge in the Child Support Division. In 1998, Ms. Bow joined SORM as General Counsel and served the agency in that capacity until named by the Board of Directors to the position of Executive Director.
Ron Josselet – Executive Director
- Mr. Josselet was appointed Executive Director of SORM by the Board of Directors in January 2000. He held the professional designations of Associate in Risk Management (ARM) and Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), and certifications from the Texas Department of Insurance in risk management and workers’ compensation. Mr. Josselet earned his bachelor’s degree from Texas Tech University and an MBA from Southwest Texas State University. He served as Executive Director from 2000 – 2004.
Bruce Birdwell – Executive Director
- Mr. Birdwell was appointed Executive Director of SORM by the Board of Directors in February 1998. He was the Risk Manager of the City of San Antonio, member of Public Risk Management Association, Risk and Insurance Management Society, and the American Society of Safety Engineers. He received his undergraduate and master’s degrees from the University of Texas at Arlington. Mr. Birdwell served as Executive Director from 1998 – 1999.