Skip to content

Fine Art Program

Who Should Consider Fine Art Coverage?

Fine art pieces and collections are located at universities and colleges, state archives, museums, and within agency offices. While these items could be covered under an agency’s property insurance policy, many of these items qualify as “fine art,” and can be covered under a separate policy that is designed to protect valuables in a more cost-effective manner.

Advantages of a State Sponsored Fine Art Program


The State Office of Risk Management (SORM) is pleased to add a fine art program as the sixth sponsored line of insurance. Due to economies of scale, the States leveraging power, SORM can secure favorable rates for all sponsored lines of insurance. In addition to SORM’s buying power, a fine art policy also provides customers with better protection at usually a better premium than what’s covered under a property insurance policy.


A fine art policy can cover items such as artwork, coins, rugs, historic items, manuscripts, rare books, porcelain and more. Not only does the policy cover qualifying items on your premises, but it also covers the items in transit to another location, at other unnamed locations, worldwide, borrowed and loaned items.


Along with excellent coverage, a fine art policy offers excellent customer service. Fine art specialists such as fine art adjusters, fine art restorers and conservators, fine art appraisers are available to assist with your fine arts policy and help you through a loss claim. In addition, they provide fine art inspections.

Common Misconceptions

In order to obtain a fine art policy you will need to:

  • Create an itemized valued inventory that will have to be constantly up-dated and endorsed on the policy – FALSE
  • Coverage is blanket and does not require an itemized valued inventory.
  • Have everything appraised first – FALSE
  • Valuation is based on the current market value at time and place of loss. Appraisals are not required in advance.

How to Obtain a Quote

1) Complete the Statewide Fine Art Application.

2) Create and estimated TIV of the Top 10 items in your collection

3) Return the information via email to

Claims Reporting

All claims should be reported through your Agency Risk Manager, who will submit the claims to the State Office of Risk Management and Willis Towers Watson.

To Report a claim:

Additional Resources